Virgin America Kicks off New Year With Fresh New Menus for Foodie Flyers
SAN FRANCISCO, Jan. 6, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Virgin America, the California-based airline known for its award-winning cuisine, today introduces new menus for the New Year for guests in its First Class, Main Cabin Select and Main Cabin service.
The airline updates its menu quarterly in order to offer more seasonal and locally-sourced foods. The latest update to Virgin America's menu includes tasteful additions in Main Cabin and Main Cabin Select, including a curry chicken salad sandwich, a Greek chicken hand roll and an artisan fruit and cheese plate. First Class flyers will also find an exciting selection of new meals, like truffle wild mushroom and potato pave and tequila and lime glazed beef filet.
The new Main Cabin and Main Cabin Select menus are available "on-demand" to Virgin America flyers via the airline's innovative touch-screen seatback entertainment platform. The Red ™ In-Flight Entertainment system allows travelers to order a variety of cocktails, snacks and meals right from their seatback touch-screen any time during a flight. Virgin America is the only airline in the U.S. with a touch-screen seatback menu that enables "anytime" ordering during a flight. In July, Virgin America launched upgrades to the Red platform, including an additional suggested "pairings" menu and an "open tab" feature which allows guests to swipe their card only once and keep their tab open for continuous ordering during the flight.
Since its launch in 2007, Virgin America has earned a list of travel industry awards including, "Best Domestic Airline for Food" in Travel + Leisure 2009 World's Best Awards and "Best Overall Passenger Experience" in the 2010 APEX Passenger Choice Awards.™ Virgin America's menus are crafted using an assortment of sustainable and fresh ingredients, including local fruits and vegetables, premium meats and artisan breads.
The latest menu is available through March 2011. Selections featured will vary by route, but include:
First Class Breakfast (all First Class meals are complimentary)
- Tropical fruit with Greek style yogurt & granola: Fresh pineapple, mango, oranges, papaya, raspberries, blackberries, kiwi, strawberries and red grapes. Creamy Greek yogurt, fresh crispy granola baked with toasted pecans, almonds, sunflower seeds and honey.
- Scrambled eggs on scallion biscuits: Home style scallion biscuit with sautéed baby spinach and fresh cage free scrambled eggs topped with a smoky hollandaise sauce. Country ham and roasted tomatoes.
- Chilaquiles: Fresh corn tortillas layered with sweet potatoes, corn, red pepper, grilled chayote squash, poblano chilies, tomatillos, sour cream and jack cheese. Grilled squash, peppers and asparagus, Gremolata of chopped pecans, lemon, cotija cheese and fresh herbs. Poblano cream and chipotle oil.
- Roasted turkey panini with strawberry panzanella salad: Panini grilled sun-dried tomato flat bread layered with oven roasted turkey, baby spinach, roasted tomatoes, creamy basil pesto. Strawberry panzanella salad with marinated strawberries, blueberries, muesli, raisins and almonds.
- Fresh mango and lychee: Ripe mango and lychee fruit tossed with ginger syrup. Toasted coconut, candied ginger and fresh mint.
- Fruit parfait with poached pears: Poached pears and cherries tossed in orange blossom honey and topped with creamy tapioca, crisp rustic granola and fresh mint.
- Breakfast trifle with rhubarb
- Fresh baked cinnamon streusel bread
- Fruit and cheese plate
First Class Appetizers and Entrees:
- Southwest chicken wrap with chipotle aioli: Grilled chicken, spicy chipotle pepper aioli, roasted corn, black beans, onions and cilantro, lettuce and Monterey jack cheese rolled in a southwestern tortilla wrap.
- Tamarind glazed chicken breast: Roasted tamarind, jalapeno and garlic chicken. Curried cauliflower scallions and golden raisins. Coconut, ginger and lime basmati rice, citrus sambal nage sauce.
- Eggplant, zucchini and roasted red pepper roulade: Grilled zucchini, roasted red pepper and grilled eggplant stuffed with ricotta cheese. Risotto and mozzarella croquette, seasoned baby carrots. Cardamom and carrot jus.
- Chicken breast stuffed with Boursin & chipotle sweet potato: Seared breast of chicken stuffed with boursin cheese. Spicy chipotle sweet potato puree, roasted beets, parsnips, butternut squash and fresh sage. Orange and pomegranate sauce.
- Baked eggplant with zucchini, tomato, basil & mozzarella: Crisp sautéed eggplant, layered with grilled zucchini, yellow squash, ripe tomatoes, melted mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Rich tomato & basil sauce, basil oil and toasted French bread for dipping.
- Smoked turkey sandwich with peppered bacon, brie & chutney: Fresh baked wheat berry bread pilled high with shaved smoked turkey breast, crisp black pepper bacon, creamy brie cheese and a tangy cranberry-orange chutney. Served with a mini tropical fruit plate
- Greek chicken hand roll: Chicken marinated in a Greek vinaigrette, kalamata olives, Crisp cucumbers, feta cheese, green leaf and frisee lettuce, pepperoncini peppers and ripe tomatoes rolled in cucumber flat bread and served with a mini fruit and cheese plate.
- Tequila & lime glazed beef filet: Grilled filet of beef glazed with tequila and lime, Cotija stuffed potatoes, black beans, French green beans. Sweet corn and cumin coulis and warm fruit salsa.
- Truffle wild mushroom and potato pave: Layers of thin sliced potatoes, sautéed shitake, oyster, crimini and domestic mushrooms with fresh herbs and truffles. Tomato coulis, vegetable ribbons, herb oil and fried basil.
- Baby iceberg wedge salad: Baby iceberg lettuce, toasted candied pecans, red and yellow tomatoes, shaved parmesan cheese. Red bell pepper vinaigrette.
- Olive oil poached fingerling potatoes and asparagus salad: Baby Russian fingerling potatoes poached in extra virgin olive oil and served with green asparagus, goat cheese, micro greens and mustard vinaigrette
First Class Desserts:
- Roasted plantain and coconut sweet rice "sushi": Sweet ripened roasted plantain in coconut infused sticky rice. Finished with chopped pistachios, ginger cream Anglaise and fresh berries
- Chocolate macadamia nut cake: Rich chocolate macadamia nut cake. Orange and coconut emulsion, chocolate sauce and macadamia nut brittle.
New First Class Wines:
- Buehler Vineyards Russian River Chardonnay 2008
- Los Cardos Malbec 2008
In Main Cabin and Main Cabin Select, guests can select their meal and snack options at the touch of a button using the Red system's interactive seatback entertainment platform at any time during their flight. The on-demand ordering system is only offered by Virgin America and is part of the airline's standard, award-winning service model. Prices for the new Main Cabin seasonal menu options range from $8 - $9, and are complimentary in Main Cabin Select. These include:
- Tarragon egg salad sandwich: Multigrain flatbread filled with tarragon egg salad and crisp lettuce. Served with yogurt and fresh tropical fruit.
- Artisan cheese and fruit: A tray of smoked gouda, camembert, cheddar and pepper jack, along with red grapes, toasted walnuts, dried apples, cranberries, apricots, and crostini from Rustic Bakery.
- Artisan dip tray: White bean avocado dip, eggplant caponata, gluten-free multigrain crackers and veggies perfect for dipping, with fresh cucumbers, grape tomatoes, radishes, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, peppers, jicama and kalamata olives.
- Lavosh vegetable wrap: Roasted beets and eggplant tossed with crumbled goat cheese and watercress, rolled in a thin lavosh flatbread. Served with a Toblerone Chocolate for dessert.
- Curry chicken salad sandwich: A chicken salad with a twist, including roasted chicken tossed with curry, cranberries, apricots, almonds, onions, honey, yogurt and mayo on nine-grain bread. Served with mayo on the side and a Toblerone chocolate.
- Smoked turkey and brie sandwich: Smoked turkey, bacon and brie on wheat bread with cranberry chutney. Served with mayo on the side and a Toblerone chocolate.
- Peppered beef sandwich: Roast beef, roasted tomatoes, arugula, blue cheese on a ciabatta roll. Served with a Toblerone chocolate.
- Greek chicken hand roll: Cucumber flatbread wrap with marinated chicken, kalamata olives, cucumbers, feta, fresh greens, pepperoncinis, and tomatoes. Served with Orzo pasta and a Toblerone chocolate.
In addition to the fresh offerings onboard, Virgin America flights offer prepared meal boxes in three varieties:
- Comfort (Vegetarian): Mott's applesauce, Madi K's blend of almonds, raisins and chocolate, Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies, a Clif Organic Energy Bar, Sun butter, Late July Organic Crackers and Dickenson's strawberry preserves.
- Hearty: Old Wisconsin beef salami, Late July Organic Crackers, Oakfield Farms cheddar cheese, Snyder's mini pretzels, Welch's fruit snacks, and Thin Addictives Cranberry Almond cookies.
- Protein: Bumble Bee lemon pepper tuna, Athenos whole wheat bagel chips, Wild Garden sundried tomato hummus, Partners crackers, Fisher mixed nuts, Ocean Spray Craisins and a Toblerone chocolate.
Each meal box is available for $7. Virgin America also offers a wide selection of cocktails and snacks on-demand including a special selection of 'Cocktails with Altitude' which were created by Virgin America's in-flight teammates. Other new drink menu additions include San Francisco's very own Ghirardelli Hot Chocolate, Alice Springs Chardonnay and Hayes Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon.
With outstanding service and beautifully designed new planes, Virgin America has captured a loyal guest following and experienced significant growth since its launch. Virgin America offers over 100 flights a day and flies to: San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, Washington D.C., Seattle, Las Vegas, San Diego, Boston, Fort Lauderdale, Toronto, Orlando, Dallas Fort-Worth , Los Cabos and beginning January 19, Cancun, Mexico.
About Virgin America: Headquartered in California and launched in August 2007, Virgin America employs over 1700 people. The airline's base of operations is San Francisco International Airport. Virgin America offers in-flight internet service on every flight and hosts the largest in-flight entertainment library in the North American skies via the Red™ platform. In three years flying, Virgin America was named "Best Domestic Airline" in the Conde Nast Traveler 2008, 2009 & 2010 Readers' Choice Awards and "Best Domestic Airline" in Travel + Leisure's 2008, 2009 and 2010 World's Best Awards. For photos and more: www.virginamerica.com
SOURCE Virgin America